Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A new year's resolution-get bloggin!! I had total knee replacement surgery on Dec. 16 and with it comes a slight change in routine- My day job is that of third grade teacher. As the winter holiday vacation comes to and end and my energy is rising after the surgery I find myself with the time to devote to the blog. During a recent time of reflection I was remembering my first time I worked with clay. I was in elementary school, maybe even third grade. At any rate, I made a small coiled bowl that I gave to my father as a gift. This gift has outlived all the other gifts I created for my parents. Perhaps that is one of the things I love about clay- it lasts and lasts. Our lives change and evolve, and the uses we have for the clay creations change, the pieces are still here. Giving the gift of pottery is giving a gift that will last for a long time. One that can become part of the family through the generations. We recently cleaned out our attic and hidden in a box was that clay bowl I gave my dad over 50 years ago. My grandaughter was recently here and she found the bowl and has made it her icecream bowl. I hope it gives her many years of enjoyment.

No comments: